Saturday, July 28, 2012

Summer Tote - Louis Vuitton Saleya Azur Tote

I have been looking for a medium sized summer tote.  My criteria is it's sturdy, water resistant, light colored, and stylish. When I found this LV Saleya Azur tote from Modnique.com (invite here), I thought I found exactly what I was looking for.  The bag was listed as 7/10 condition. There were some very clear pictures on their website to show the condition of the bag, but not enough to actually show the problem and the reason why I decided to return it.  There were four places that the ends of the thread had popped out and sticking out like a loose stitching.  To be honest, my first impression was - that can't be an authentic LV purse. In my limited experience, designer bags do not have loose stitching.  Well, I was wrong. After posting many pictures on purse forum, an expert has blessed this bag to be authentic.  I have also seen a few discussions on the purse forum about their Hermes and Chanels having loose stitching, so I guess it's not so uncommon. The quality of the so called "designer" items have gone downhill.  I struggled for a week on whether to keep the bag or not, but can't overlook the glaring loose threads and decided to return.  The bag however is on my "favorite" list. Its size is perfect - large enough to hold all my necessities for a weekend brunch or mall trip, but not too big to overwhelm my small frame. The color and pattern of the bag is my favorite of all LV designs and I just love how simple yet elegant it is. I have stopped by the LV store near me but couldn't find a new bag that fits all the criteria. So, the search goes on...

Before the return I had some pictures taken so I can remember how much I love this bag. This is my typical weekend outfit - shorts and T. 
Outfit Details
Gap T (old)
Banana Republic Factory shorts (old)
Mint belt from H&M polka dot skirt featured here
Ann Taylor necklace from this sale
Adrienne Vittadini Yancy Platform sandals (from TJMaxx $40, love! Buy here)
Louis Vuitton Saleya Azur Tote
One of the 4 places that the stitching popped out
What I learned from this experience - never ever buy a vintage bag on final sale.

14 comments:

  1. you'd think that such expensive bags would have better quality control. i remember reading the threads about chanel's quality drops in the midst of one of their increases. i'd return, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a lovely bag-- but too bad for the quality issues! You'd think for a LV it would be absolutely perfect. How disappointing! Good luck with your search; I'm sure you'll find something even more amazing! :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's too bad. These little imperfections do make or break a bag. Have you already looked at the LV Hampstead tote?

    & you're right about vintage items being on final sale. I should just stay away -_-

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a cute bag and shame about the stitching. I've been buying vintage bags for many years and have learnt through trial and error that the condition is everything irrespective of the price. Yep, sadly buying designer does not guarantee quality anymore. I've also read about the leather peeling on Prada Saffiano totes which I thought was a nice style too.
    Good luck with your search!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gasp, leather peeling on Prada Saffiano? I'm majorly disappointed.

      Delete
  5. Hi Vicky! I love the new bag! Hope you're able to get the stitching fixed somehow. Either way, it looks great on you. :)

    I was just in Louis Vuitton this morning looking for a damier tote (in the darker ebene color, though). I do have a question about the Saleya you've bought - do you think it might fit a 13 inch Macbook air? I'm on the hunt for a new work tote and have tried at least 10 bags at LV (but have yet to find the perfect one)!

    Love the rest of your outfit, too.. hope you're having a wonderful weekend!

    Love, S
    http://shamelesslyoverdressed.blogspot.com
    I'm hosting a jewelry giveaway - enter through my blog (link above)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry I returned the bag and didn't take measurement. And I don't really know the size of a 13 in Macbook air. lol. I would recommend that you take your Macbook to the LV store when you purchase, so you can try it.

      Delete
    2. Hi S! I have the same bag that Vicky posted. The bottom of mine measure 9.5 inches. The zipper top opening is about 13.25 inches.

      Delete
  6. I HAVEN'T BEEN BUYING ANYTHING FROM LV FOR AGES! RECENTLY MY HEART HAS BEEN STRUCK BY PURSE CUPID AGAIN AND THIS TIME BY ANTIGONA BAG BY GIVENCHY.. OH, DEAR.. MY HUSBAND IS IN TROUBLE AND MY CLOSET HAS TO MAKE SPACE ;D

    KISSES FROM :
    A SMALL BLOG WITH A BIG HEART
    MRS JACK OF ALL TRADES DAILY where Fashion and Food collide!
    http://mrsjackofalltradesdaily.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol, I'm sure captain won't mind. :)

      Delete
  7. I love your shoes... I love my Adrienne Vittadini wedges too and am surprised how much wear I got out of them this summer.

    If you like this bag, please check out a very similar one that caught my eye. It's called the Louis Vuitton Figheri PM and it's only available in the Damier Azur print.

    I love LV and started selectively collecting in 2008. I have 4 of their bags and a wallet in Damier Ebene and Epi Leather. The structured bags (e.g. Trevi PM and Bowling Montaigne PM) and hold up well over the years. On the other hand, the shapeless one (e.g. the Neverfull MM) isn't as good. The only complaint I have is the material that they used for the straps of the Damier Ebene Neverfull. I've only had the bag since March last year and they look like they may not last/require replacement in the future. However, I've had no issues with loose stitching with any of the LV items that I personally own. I hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jess. I did check out the Figheri PM in the store, and didn't like it as much. You are right about the Neverfull. The SA pulled it out and suggested it to me, and I was like - gasp, it looks so cheaply made, I would've thought it was a knock off if I wasn't in an LV store.

      Delete
  8. Hey Vicky! So sorry the bag did not work out for you! I would be annoyed with the stitching, too! I actually have this bag and have owned mine since its release, but do not have any stitches coming out. But what I am noticing is the material by the zipper is turning a blueish/greenish color from the zipper. I took a quick pic of it: http://i1186.photobucket.com/albums/z373/thepetitefittingroom/lv_1.jpg

    And the leather is spotty in some areas from the time I had it on the floor at a restaurant and the busboy dropped a tray and water went flying everywhere. :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why is it turning green? oxidation? I see the water spots, that's a shame, but it still doesn't bother me as much as the loose thread. lol. Thanks for sharing, Michelle.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...