Sunday, April 8, 2012

HOW TO WEAR: Yellow Denim

Strikingly yellow pants are the last thing I thought I would buy, let alone wearing it twice in a week. Reason - it's sooooo in your face. However, the color does make me happy. This is why happy faces are yellow. :)

I got this pair from GAP and it's the brightest yellow denim I have encountered so far. Compared to soft yellow it's harder to style yet more statement making. Here's my thoughts on how to make a successful outfit from it. 

1.  Pair it with a patterned top, like a striped T, a gingham shirt or a polka dot something. I used this polka dot blazer and chambray shirt to draw attention away from the yellow. I also added neutral brown colors (bag, and oxford shoes) to soften the brightness of the whole outfit.
Cambray on the Oxfords ties in with the Chambray shirt.
Polka dot socks peeking out.
Outfit details:
Ann Taylor Chambray shirt (old)
H&M Polka dot blazer (recent)
Gap 1969 skimmer legging jeans (size 00R, buy here)
Cole Haan oxford (old)
Chloe Paraty bag
Necklaces from auction and F21 (shortened)
Ralph Lauren polka dot ankle socks.

Here is how it looks with a striped T or a gingham shirt. Note that the pants in the picture with the gingham shirt is from Target (returned, reviewed in this post).

2.  Tone it down with darker colors. Navy and yellow pair up very nicely. I found this navy hoodie and decided to go with a schoolgirl look with the white H&M satchel wearing crossbody style.
Outfit details:Abercrombie kids hoodie (size XL)
Gap 1969 skimmer legging jeans (size 00R, buy here)
H&M satchel (recent, for $24.95)
Nine West wedges (old)

Are you finding colored denim hard to wear? What are your strategies to make them work for you?

19 comments:

  1. I purchased those jeans a month ago, and they've been hiding in the closet since then. You totally inspired and convinced me to keep them and to give them a chance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you keep it and love it. :)

      Delete
  2. I'm so happy you posted about the yellow demin, since I'm thinking of searching for some yellow pants for myself! I was inspired during my trip to the east coast recently, where I spotted so many colorful pants at the airport/train stations. I think it looks great topped with a jean jacket or blue jean/chambray shirts and neutral shoes :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to give jean jacket a try. Great suggestion. Thank you, Olyvia!

      Delete
  3. I like your expression in the 1st pic- too cute. The yellow denim fits you nicely and such a happy color:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. that first outfit is perfect! i literally started laughing when i saw the big yellow smiling face. dont know why, it was a little weird, lol. i'm too chicken to wear yellow pants, but youre making it seem so doable!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, glad to entertain.
      I think this is really a personal level of comfort. I wouldn't buy them unless I am comfortable wearing them. Hope you give them a try sometime.

      Delete
  5. I wanted yellow denim when I was 15. I've been trying to avoid buying it until I saw those at the GAP, in real life. Now I want them. I'm having a hard time biting the bullet though because I would prefer a pair that I could wear in the fall and winter, and I just don't see myself wearing them during my "dark-color" season. But they look awesome on you! The first outfit is adorable. How wide it the leg opening? I prefer mine about 10", but those look wider?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The leg opening is 11". Keep in mind though this is supposed to be a cropped legging jeans and I took home a 00R so it's opening is a bit wide.

      Delete
  6. I tried these pants on and loved them! Love how you styled them...and that your socks match the blazer! Really love your satchel too, I may have to hunt that down!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tara. If you have trouble finding it in store, let me know. I decided to keep the yellow one instead of the white one, so this one is going back this weekend.

      Delete
  7. You rocked yellow pants!I saw them in real, but thought 'too bright' at that time. after seeing your post now I'm thinking 'ok, not so bright.. maybe?!' Your outfit made me re-think about bright yellow! Now I feel like trying more bright color!

    ReplyDelete
  8. you look good in every outfit. Brights make me happy too! you might think this sounds ugly, but how about pairing those yellow pants with a cobalt blue top? =]

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the yellow! I would never think to go for this bright of yellow, but it looks so great on you with all those different outfits! I love how it looks just as good with a sweatshirt as with a button-up. So fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those yellow pants are so pretty and I love all of your style tips! I think it's actually easier to style color denim than it is to style regular denim because you can make so many different color combos :)

    -Sharon
    The Tiny Heart

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your yellow pants are awesome! You look great.
    Creamy

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...