Saturday, February 11, 2012

Review: J.Crew Tillary Tote

My love of bags are well known by now. :) When I saw this bag on the new J.Crew catalog, I had to do a double take - its shape is a lot like the Celine luggage tote that everyone is in love with. See the Celine version on Easy Petite Looks. I have been looking for a satchel/tote in non-black neutral color - brown, camel, cognac, so I ordered one hoping that it will fit the bill.  This would be my work horse bag that will fit more than just a wallet and iphone. I called the store first to see if I could see one in person, but learned that it was an online only item, so the only way to see it in person is to buy one. So I did.
When I opened the box that contained this bag, I couldn't believe how big it was. 
Online measurement: 11 1/2H x 11 3/4W x 3 5/8D. 
My measurement: Bottom width = 12"; Top width =19"; Height (middle of the bag) = 12"; Depth = 6 1/2"

I can't get over how ridiculous this bag look on me. It looks like the bag is carrying me. :) After the initial shock, I examined the bag carefully. The craftsmanship is very good. The bag is well made and the leather is supple. The color (warm sienna) is pleasing, and very easy to go with different outfits. The inside of the bag is fully lined and has both a zipper pocket and a split patch cell pocket. The bag has a zipper top which I like a lot. I do not like totes that only has a magnet closure. Things fall out easily and if you are in crowded areas, it's an easy target for thieves. Another nice thing about this bag is its two hidden front and back exterior pockets. In the picture the small front flap with a zipper can actually be opened (closed by hidden magnet) and you will discover a roomy front pocket. Same thing in the back of the bag. The zipper is just a decoration.
So for those of you non-petites, I highly recommend this bag. I think $328 is a good price for the quality and look.  I had Bryan hold this bag for me to see how it would look on a 6 foot tall person (he resisted at first, but couldn't stand my nagging, and gave in.)  The bag looks very attractive on a taller person. (Sorry, no picture to share, you wouldn't think Bryan would allow me to take pictures of him holding this bag, would you?) For me, this is no-doubt a return. Kind of sad, but I think I found my dream bag after all. 

The bag comes in color "blue sea" as well, which obviously is in higher demand than warm sienna. The expected ship date for the blue sea is currently May 21st, 2012.

29 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting this - I was also kinda obsessing about it after seeing it but now I know it is way too huge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH WOW! This absolutely does look like the Celine Luggage tote. I can't believe how close it resembles the bag and what a deal!?!?! Only $328? I do agree the size is a bit overwhelming for you, I hope they'll come up with a smaller version! I'll have to check this out next weekend when we have the tax free president's day weekend sales and the building where our Jcrew is located is offering tax free weekend that day :) 9.5% sales tax savings is significant :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bessie, I don't think any B&M stores carry this bag. It's an online only item. That's why I purchased it online. However if you want to save tax, you might be able to try the in store red phone. Who knows. Good luck.

      Delete
  3. It is sad that it's so big but do u think it would work as a work bag on me? I've been looking and can't seem to find something big enough....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmm, it looks too huge for a work bag. I think travel bag, maybe. Or you might want to give the blue sea a try. The darker color will possibly make the bag look a little less overwhelming. I don't recommend this color and size for you.

      Delete
  4. Haha, about your husband holding the bag. It looks like a great tote, but I don't like that it's a bit too obvious that it's inspired by Celine. Although it's pretty big, I do think it could work as a good travel bag for a petite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, def can see it being used as a travel bag. However, this bag is on the heavy side due to the thick supple leather, so it's weight vs. look...

      Delete
  5. I kind of like that it's huge. It's big, but to me, it doesn't look like you can jump inside. I have a big preference for big bags though. Small bags don't exist in my closet unless an oversized clutch counts. :P I say, go big or go home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmm, I definitely can jump inside. lol.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the detailed review. Just too bad you won't be keeping it. I like bags that are big since I carry a lot of junk (in the summer, a short umbrella is always in there).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My shoulder cannot handle that much weight, so I go lightweight most of the time. My bags are getting smaller and smaller. :)

      Delete
  7. Aww too bad about the size :) It has a nice structure to it and I like the blue one :)

    katattack2000.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, if only I can grow 6 inches taller, then this bag might fit me. :)

      Delete
  8. Thanks for the review. It definitely looks big next to you. Good to know it's a bit heavy. That's a deal breaker for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm kind of that way too. But sometimes I give in to the beautiful design. :)

      Delete
  9. I automatically thought travel bag as well when you said it was too large but you're right that weight becomes a factor in that scenario. Thanks for investigating!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wow, I love that blue one. Dark blue/navy blue is my favorite color! Shame about the size. I can imagine you actually fitting IN the bag!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the bag. I think this bag may work for a travel bag but definitely not a everyday bag.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Vicky, sorry this is not bag related but I LOVE your nailpolish color, could you tell me the name of it? Thank you so much!! :)

    Christina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem, Christina. The nail color is called Dree from Zoya. I love it too. :) Here's the link:
      http://zoya.com/content/38/item/Zoya/Zoya-Nail-Polish-Dree-ZP569.html

      Delete
  13. Such a shame! The tote is so beautiful but it is definitely large for your frame. The fact that it's also heavy makes it a definite return. Are you mainly looking for a structured type of bag?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Are the handles long enough to go over your shoulder? I'm definitely looking for a bag to hold my laptop and such things ... this may be it, but I want to be able to hold it on my shoulder..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but with difficulty. I don't think it was designed to go over your shoulder. But since I'm petite, I was able to slide it through. Looks very awkward though.

      Delete
  15. If you are interested in selling your bag, I'd love to purchase it from you... please let me know. I don't think it's available anymore :(

    Thanks!
    Anna
    http://www.anewfoundtreasure.com
    anewfoundtreasure@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would also love to purchase this bag from anyone who has it - new or used, I don't care! Please email me if you're interested in selling it.

    regina.levchets@gmail.com

    Thanks!

    Regina

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...