Saturday, July 30, 2011

Petite Fashion Challenge #9: Heat Wave Appropriate

I have been a devoted attendee of PFC since it was born. I only missed one and I made sure it doesn't happen again. :) Thank goodness this time the challenge is in the weekend, so I have a Saturday morning to procrastinate.

The challenge: Create an outfit that accounts for the various environmental factors that plague us in the summer. How to dress when it's 90 degrees outside and 65 degrees inside.

This is what I have to deal with everyday in the summer, whether it's going to work or to the mall, the temperature variation is huge. Dressing properly is important to ensure that by the end of the day, I don't have my brain freeze over.  My typical work wardrobe is a sleeveless top (silk, cotton, light weight, breathable fabric), a pencil or mini-pencil skirt (the hotter it is outside, the shorter the hemline), a cardigan of some sort (I wear cardigans a lot more often than jackets, because I prefer non-structured items), and a pair of sandals or pumps (again, I wear sandals a lot more than pumps because they are less formal and more comfortable). If I still feel cold with cardigans, I would pack a light weigh summer cotton scarf in the bag just in case.

This is what I typically start with on my way to work. See how I stuff this MT cutie with my cardigan and scarf? It looks so cute being full. :) Jean bought this lovely Ann Taylor silk top for me because I couldn't find a 00P in my local store. Thank you, Jean! The Ann Taylor Ikat Zebra Print Skirt fits very well and is on sale now for $32.50.
 Then when I get to work, I take out the cardigan and put it on immediately.
The bag without the cardigan.
I like longer cardigans to layer over short skirt, because it doesn't cut you in the middle and creates a better proportion. This J.Crew Perfect-fit mixed-tape cardigan in xx-small is very comfy and affordable ($18 on sale)
 
Loving my new Michael Kors small Layton oversized watch!
The last resort to still being cold (which is rare for me) is to add a light weight summer scarf. This Ann Taylor scarf is so pretty in person that I had to take it home.


I hope you enjoy the post and have a wonderful weekend. (Mine will be good because it's my birthday!)

Don't forget to check out everyone's entries by visiting Elle's blog tonight.

Outtake - it was WINDY! I was surprised most of the pictures turned out.

23 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Vicky!! :)

    I love your advice on wearing a longer cardigan with shorter skirts! It looks great! 

    Loving the new watch!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Happy Birthday!!  I love how you added lighter brown shoes to the color mix, very nice ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday Vicky! Love the neutral colors of this outfit and how you bring in the colorful prints! =D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday Vicky!! : ) Forgot to update you on the watch - I purchased the Small Layton! Your MT bag looks soo nice stuffed.I actually like the look of a lot of "stuffed" handbags.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the skirt....anything with animal print makes me happy!!

    http://reynaglows.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this whole outfit from head to toe!  Just perfection, Vicky - great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My favorite part of the outfit is the long cardigan proportions against your skirt. I can't ever get mine to look that way. Great outfit, Vicky!

    PS - Have a fabulous birthday!! Hope your fam has something special planned. Perhaps another Chanel as a surprise present? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love long cardigans, and the color of this one is gorgeous.  indeed, that blouse is the perfect fit, and the scarf is a must-have!  great challenge!

    jenny
    http://goldnturquoise.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love everything about this!  The print of the skirt is fab, and I love how you are rocking the longer cardi!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this look, all the colors and prints you used. And ditto what Cee said, it's the perfect scarf to cardi proportions.

    ReplyDelete
  11. that scarf actually looks perfect with the entire outfit! I love the whole color scheme! very chic!  I'm definitely gonna go check out that jcrew cardigan! It looks nice on you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely outfit Vicky- the skirt is super cute on you! I like the scarf and cardi addition:) Great job on this challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey! Looks like you got the MT.  how are you liking it?  I am liking your take on this challenge!  you look so cozy by the end of it.  

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am LOVING it! Thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks, Annie. The skirt was a hit in the mall yesterday when I went shopping with it. Lots of ladies asked me where I got it from. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you, Olyvia.  Hope you like it too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks, Elle. And thank you for hosting. 

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks, Tara. I am liking animal prints more and more. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Psychedforstyle.blogspot.comJuly 31, 2011 at 10:24 PM

    I love the color of your cardigan with the brown and ivory. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I could re-create almost this exact same outfit!!! I have the same skirt and a very similar cardigan! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. WHAAAT??? When was your birthday?!? I'm sooo sorry I missed it :(

    You look so beautiful! Jean got me that top too LOL! Wonder if the ladies at AT thought she was crazy for buying so many of the same top?  :P

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oooh, the tip on the longer cardigan and proportions is helpful to me!  Thanks!  Also, great idea with keeping a light scarf in your bag as well!  :D  

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...