Sunday, March 6, 2011

Warning: I caught the Chanel bug

Update: tipped off by Jean again. The Bloomingdale's is having a triple reward program on the 10th and 11th. So if you are thinking of purchasing, do make sure to do it on one of these two days. You get an extra 9% back in store gift card on top of the 20% you save.


Update: Make sure to read Sydney's post on how to convince your significant other that spending 2K on a bag is normal.

I have always viewed myself as a practical and logical person, and would never have thought that I would catch the Chanel bug that a lot of girls do. I still don't admit that I am as "sick" as most of my friends are.  When I was tipped off by Jean (yes, that girl who seems to know everything that's going on in the shopping world, and always seems to be able to find the best deal!) that Bloomingdale's is having a 20% off first day of shopping when opening an account, including Chanel, I wavered. As sensible as I am as a human being, I can't seem to ignore a "good deal". (add sarcastic face here.) (For more info about the sale, see her post here.) So I dragged dear hubby to Bloomingdale's yesterday to "take a look." I swear I didn't even think about buying, I just thought it didn't hurt to look. I was wrong. I did hurt to look. The bags were too beautiful to resist. It felt wrong to leave the boutique without taking one home. So I did, I took TWO home.

Update: A lot of questions on the promotion itself from my readers. I'll capture the gist of it.
-- The promotion runs from March 10th to the 13th. (Thurs - Sun.)
-- Only 3 bloomingdales in the US carry Chanel. The one I went to was in Chestnut Hill in MA. My SA's name and number are: Jane Simon, 617-630-6723. She's a very nice lady who is super patient and helpful. Tell her that Vicky sent you. (no, I don't get commission for doing this. lol)

Number 1: Wallet On Chain (WOC) in quilted lambskin leather with silver hardware. (Retails $1575)







My heart skip a beat when I saw this beauty. I know lambskin is hard to maintain. I have read all about caviar is the way to go. But when I put this one and the caviar one next to each other, this one is clearly the winner for me. (sad face!) FYI, the caviar one retails for $1295, and looks a lot like Jean's WOC, only the front flap still straight, unlike Jean's that is curved.  I am kicking myself for not taking any pictures there, oh, well. There is also a Camilla Lambskin one that looks like this one, only in black, which retails $1295 as well.

Number 2, the Petite Shopping Tote (PST). I never thought I'd pick this up, but when I put it on me, hubby liked the look. Also it's Caviar leather so it's sturdier. This one retails $1600 so it's a good price. (I can't believe I'm saying that!!!) One note on this bag. The silver hardware version has softer leather. The gold hardware version has much harder leather, sturdier look, and coarser caviar grains. I asked the SA about it, and she confirmed that the silver version is softer, and they wash the leather to get to that state.  I personally like the size of this tote a lot. It's not overwhelming on my petite frame, but it's large enough to carry substantial amount of crap, which I do all the time. (I blame it on the kids. lol)






These two Chanel bags are both entry level bags that together cost less than a basic small flap. I tried on both the small flap (retails $3200) and the M/L flap (retails $3400), and thought the M/L flap looked more flattering.  For some reason none of the basic flaps looked good on me. Weird. I love the look of a basic flap on the bloggers. So before you buy, do try it out. You might be surprised on how it looks on yourself.

Another important note from the SA at Bloomies: Chanel bags are forever returnable if they are never worn and has a tag attached to it. It gives me a peace of mind.

What do you think of these bags? Are you one of the few out there who caught the Chanel bug as well? Do let me know your thoughts!

45 comments:

  1. PetiteLittleGirlMarch 6, 2011 at 1:22 PM

    Oh Vicky..Why are you doing this to me? :) They both are gorgeoussssssssss. I personally like the PST better. Like you, I carry so much stuff with me. But again, I wouldn't carry a Chanel bag to work everyday. I am still thinking (and saving) for mine. I don't know what I am going to get yet. Was you able to get the 20% discount at Bloomies?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sydney, if you are thinking of buying, this is a good chance. :) The 20% discount deal is only from 3/10 to 3/13. I got these pre-sale. The SA allowed me to secure the goods and then do a return-repurchase during the promotion time by opening a bloomies account.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh your Chanel pieces are so beautiful!! i'm so jealous that you were able to snag these up. they look wonderful on you! they're both great sizes on you. i'm saving up for my own Chanel too!

    cute and little

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Vicky, I thought for sure you would never give in to Chanel. And to see that you bought 2? Go big or go home, right? :)

    I'm not too familiar with size comparisons between WOC vs flap, but I'm surprised the flaps didn't look good on you. I would have thought that is a universally flattering bag, but I'm so glad you found what worked for you because the WOC is lovely! The lambskin is absolutely divine. Do you find yourself reaching for it just to touch the leather? hehe I know I would! The PST doesn't seem to get much love (I'm not sure why), but once again, it's the perfect proportioned bag on you.

    Is Jasmine excited that you might possibly pass these bags down to her in the future? I would be if my mom had Chanels! I'm so excited for you and I know you'll get so much joy from wearing these beauties!

    PS - You are still the most practical engineer I know!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha, congrats on the Chanel bags! I've always considered myself a practical person too, but I suddenly find myself lusting after a WOC. I'm going to see how long I can hold out. They both look lovely on you as do you AT items ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooooooooooooh. Sad.... in a good bad way. Those Chanels are SO beautiful on you! I am SO in love with the Wallet on Chain and am tempted. I also consider myself to be nice and practical. The only thing stopping me is opening up a credit card account, which enables me to get the %off. Since I'm looking to purchase a place, I don't want my credit number to go down at all, given banks are incredibly stingy right now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi,the Bloomies here in Atl do not sell Chanel bags. From which Bloomingdales did you get yours from? Also can u give me your SA name? Maybe I can order it from her. Thanks and congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Both bags are so gorgeous! Buying a new, fun purse is one of the most thrilling things in life lol! Congrats on your purchases!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have updated the post to include the name and number of my SA. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG Vicky they are soooo beautiful!!! Ok this is NOT good for me! I'm getting so tempted! I think I will have to wait for my 40th birthday before getting one though LOL! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I'm so jealous! I've been saving up for a Chanel bag, and I was originally thinking of the medium flap, but now I think I want the first one you got! :) super classic and fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So cute! I love the PST ... it's what I'm looking at at the moment. I caught the Chanel bug a while ago and I'm still deciding on which one to get. HUGE & tough decision ; ) Congrats on your purchases girl! Can't believe you got two!

    xx The Little Dust Princess

    ReplyDelete
  13. Both beautiful and classic CCs. I'm sure you're going to enjoy for many years to come. Congratulations :)
    I'm considering to buy a WOC but in love with the quilted caviar silver hardware in black. But none of the Bloomies chanel stores have it, there is wait list for it :(

    Claud ( Not sure how to post with my google account..I'm follower of your blog as well ???)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ah..you know I've been waiting for this post (since our lengthy chat last night, lol!). Both bags are beautiful. I'm not sure whether you bought both with the intention to keep both, or to bring 'em home and decide which one to keep. If you were only to pick one that would be incredibly hard as they're both stunning and suited for completely different purposes. Nick says the tote is a cool "mom" bag - if that means anything, lol! Looks like the men vote for PST.

    ReplyDelete
  15. SO MUCH CHANEL PRETTY IN HERE. I almost can't handle it.

    Fabulous purchases, Vicki. These are classic bags and I know you'll carry them for a long time to come.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your bags--such timeless classic beauties. I'm glad I took your suggestion on trying the bags on. I dragged hubby to the Chanel store to check them out. I really had hoped that the WOC would work for me, but I'm such a heavy packer, I realized it was not very practical (not that a Chanel bag is very practical anyways). I also tried the medium flap and it was actually smaller than I thought. Unfortunately (because that means I'll have to shell out more $), the large flap looked most proportional to me. *Sigh* Now, I have to decide if I want the caviar or the lambskin. I'm partial to the lambskin since it's super soft but worry about how it will hold up. Decisions, decisions... Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh my! i would love to own a chanel bag sometime in my lifetime!! it is just a beauty, as are you!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. O-M-G! I have been dying to comment on this post!!! HUGE HUGE congrats Vicky! Welcome to the Chanel lifestyle...LOL

    Great choices- both classic pieces! I vote keep both! LOL I am thinking about picking up ANOTHER purse...eek!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh and did you just recently pick up that LOFT cardi? Did you by any chance see any other colors? I have been searching for more colors since I have the color you are wearing and LOVE it.....

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh dear, I'm a Chanel admirer from afar but am determined to get one when my budget allows. Your husband understands the classic and holy grail that is CHANEL. I told my boyfriend about it and his jaw dropped and started telling me how he can probably give me a duplicate or some sort. OH SIGH. Men. They look gorgeous! I can't say I have a favorite but you got them at a great smashing deal. Chanel rarely goes on sale from what I hear.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you, Kileen. I hope you have your hands on one of these beauties soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Don't take me wrong, Cee. The flap looks great too, just not as good as the WOC, on me. Yes, the lambskin is absolutely divine!!! I love the feel when touching it. lol. Oh, how do you know? Jasmine was very excited that I got these bags. She loved them. I don't know if she understands that these bags might one day be hers yet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks, R.L. Do let me know when the bug finally gets you!

    ReplyDelete
  24. That is a tough call. I think buying a home is more important than a Chanel bag. So I don't blame you if you hold off. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you so much, Tara. I love them both. :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thank you, Elaine. :) I bet you are going to have one before that! Want to bet? lol.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi, Kimmie. Thank you. Do let me know what you end up getting. It's a tough decision. :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Totally agree. It is a huge and tough decision. :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oooo, Claud, that would be a perfect combo - quilted carviar, silver hardware. That way you don't have to worry about scuffing it as much.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I purchased both and felt I have a week to decide whether to keep both, or keep one. I'm currently leaning towards keeping the WOC and return the PST. Reason being I can't see myself using it as a work bag, and I can't see myself using it as a shopping bag either. I would be too self-conscious about it. Still sleeping on it. Not decided yet.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Susan, I'm glad my post was helpful. With a large flap, I would choose caviar over lambskin, since it'll get scuffed way too easily. I wish you luck on making the decision. Whatever it is, it'll be just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Another one, Annie? which one? do tell!

    ReplyDelete
  33. No, the cardigan was from last fall. This one by far is my favorite along with the charcoal one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Men needs converting. :) Chanel is a classic beauty and I am sure over time, you will influence your bf's opinion. lol. From my limited knowledge, classic Chanel NEVER goes on sale. This is a bloomingdale promotion, and they just didn't exclude Chanel. This type of promotion goes on twice a year is what I heard.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Claudiai GuerreroMarch 7, 2011 at 9:43 PM

    Vicky, I like the woc because you can use as an evening bag and also can wear very casual too. So versatile..love it :) -claud

    ReplyDelete
  36. I'm still so jelly over this - ha ha! I saw your post via Twitter first and we were driving. I showed E your post and said your hubby was there with you - even told you to get the second one! Now, that is TRUE LOVE!

    =)

    besos,

    ML

    Join the Easiest Blog Project Ever at:

    Twenty York Street

    Twenty York Street

    ReplyDelete
  37. Great choices!! You have a black Chanel day and night bag!! :) Now you are ready for a funky patterned purse! :p

    I have had my lambskin for 2 1/2 years...so far, no problems with mainetance! I have not actually cleaned it or truly taken care of it. I just keep it in its bag when not in use. It has even survived the humid weather of dHawaii, with sunscreen rubbing off on the leather...not on purpose!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Edit....poor word choice...sunscreen did not actually visably get on the purse. I had a heavily-laden sunscreened body (I come back as white as I am before I go on vacation!) that would touch the purse, but it did not rub off.

    ReplyDelete
  39. They're both super cute. Definitely a tough decision. If you keep the smaller one, I think you'll love it forever. Either one!

    ReplyDelete
  40. You have no idea how much time I've spent drooling over the pics of your gorgeous Chanel(s) Vicky! I actually even called the store (before you bought) and they texted me a pic of the caviar vs. lambskin. And originally I thought I wanted caviar for the durability and cheaper price, but like you after seeing the pic I wasn't so sure. I really want to be able to see them in person first before pulling the trigger on such a big purchase, so that's why I passed up the Bloomies sale even though I was SO tempted thanks to Jean's meticulous research.

    Anyhow, congrats congrats!! I can't believe your hubs agreed to two of them lol... but that's why we love the men who spoil us ;)

    ReplyDelete
  41. Vicky,

    I realize it's been a few years since you first purchased your lambskin WOC - question related to this: how did you find yourself cleaning and storing the purse (when not in use) throughout the years? I'm on the wait list for one of these and also feel that it looks aesthetically better than the leather caviar material.

    Thanks!
    Jenae

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jenae, I simply put it back to its bag for storage. I do make sure that I use the felt cloth that comes with the bag. i wrap the chain separately to make sure it doesnt dent the lambskin leather.

      Delete
  42. Yeah, choosing right and perfect purse is very important that suits your style and personality. It’s also very crucial to prefer a comfortable purse that fits with your necessities and functions.

    Chanel Purse

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...