Sunday, February 27, 2011

How to wear a sweater dress - a staple in the closet

*** Update, I just found an Ikat cardi in xxsp today at Loft, so I picked it up. If you want it please visit my blog sale and claim it by leaving a comment.  SOLD***


*** More update, when I was getting ready to ship one of the dresses I picked up for Jean, I noticed that it was much heavier than the one I shipped to Annie. I couldn't understand why so I tried it on. It turns out that this one fits big. It fits more like an xsp dress. I let Jean know and canceled the shipment, because I knew that it wouldn't fit her. So now the dress is up for sale on my blog sale. SOLD***

Those of you who follow me on twitter probably saw the big "who wants this", "I want this", and "oh, I want this too" tweets a couple days ago, when I stopped by one of my local Loft and found several of this gorgeous sweater dress on clearance in xxsp. So I grabbed 3. One for me and two for my favorite bloggers (you know who you are.) I couldn't wait to do a post on it because it is so figure flattering that I think every girl should have one in their closet. The number of ways to style it is endless. I just want to do a few basics here and if you feel adventurous I know just the place to look. See how Callandra wears a pencil skirt under a sweater dress.

First the dress itself.

Love the sideview the best. Nice thing about sweater dresses is that they cling to your body and shows the right amount of curve.

The least thing you can do is to belt it.

In the cool weather, you can add layer to a sweater dress easily. One way is to add a basic jacket. Shown here, I'm wearing a Loft scuba jacket.


This look can be achieved easily by pulling cowl neck down both shoulders and tilting it to one side. I learned this trick from Jean. I love this look for the weekend.

You can also throw a cardigan over the sweater dress, and I prefer the belted look over the non-belted look. The trick here is to select a cardigan that either has a very unique pattern (here, shown I was wearing Ikat print cardigan from Loft.) or a very bright color to offset the grey color and add interest.


Not shown here is another fantastic way of wearing sweater dresses -- with high boots.

What do you think, readers? Do you like sweater dresses? Would you wear them in the winter? 

19 comments:

  1. I love this sweater dress :) I imagine you'd get a lot of wear from it because it can be styled for many occasions! My favorite one of the bunch is the weekend and work look :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love sweater dresses! Also love yours and how you styled it each and every way! You look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this dress on you, Vicky. Thank you for showing us several ways to wear this sweater dress. You look GREAT in it. I agree, sweater dress is a staple in the closet. I am looking forward to see Jean and Annie styles this dress. My favorite is the off-the-shoulder look. Of course :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw! You are so nice to pic up some extras!

    I have been lusting over that dress for so long! When it finally went on sale I picked it up!

    I love the new ideas you gave me! Looks great with the cardigan! So cute! I wore mine the other week with a long necklace, single bracelet, brown tights, and booties...very basic look, but got so many compliments on the dress!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whistles...the off the shoulder look is tres sultry on you! I enjoyed all the ways you styled it but like that one and the ikat sweater version the best. Thank you again for tweeting this for your readers : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so jealous of your scuba blazer! It looks like it fits you really nicely, I was too unlucky with the sizing the sales I guess. The sweater dress is a lot more basic than I thought, really like it with the wide waisted belt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a gorgeous and versatile dress! I love the blazer + belt look especially. And goodness, I hope my body bounces back like yours after having 2 kids (I've always heard recovering from 1 is easier)!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great sweater dress! I've been on the lookout for one, but I keep making excuses for why I shouldn't get one...namely because it's too warm for the weather here. One of these days I'll have to try it out! =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post Vicky - at first the sweater dress didn't do much for me but after seeing how you accessorized it I can see that it's such a great staple piece to have in your wardrobe :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, I love this dress. It is very versatile. :) Thank you, Jen.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are very welcome, Annie. Hope you like it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oooo, I have to try your look too!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. lol, thanks for the whistles. lol. I'm so sorry it didn't work out for you. The size inconsistency sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Agreed. With a patterned dress, you can't wear a patterned cardi, but you can always add a basic single colored cardi over it. Thank you, Jessy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really enjoyed this post Vicky! I have last year's version of this dress (pretty much identical), and I love it too, although I have to admit I don't wear it as often as I should! I love all the ways you styled it... maybe I'll give mine a spin again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  16. sweater dresses are nice, and this one is great on you! you're so kind for picking up extras for your friends =)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...