Tuesday, January 11, 2011

OOTD: What I wore to the piano recital

Last Sunday was the kids' bi-annual piano recital. I usually really enjoy this day. I get to listen to all these kids making such great progress. This time was a little out of my comfort zone. The piano teacher decided to try using parents as MC and I somehow got picked. Writing MC script didn't take too long, but it was work I postponed to the last minute. Also to the last minute was deciding on what to wear. That took days of thoughts (yes, days, in the back burner.). Finally I picked out a Theory wool dress and J.Crew Merino chiffon-placket cardigan and thought it was nice and formal enough. I also decided to use the Loft winnings I just received from Really Petite because I knew that Annie would LOVE to see those pretty earrings and necklaces on me. LOL! The night before the recital, I couldn't decide whether to wear the long necklace from Loft, the crystal bib necklace from Swarovski, or both. I posted a twitpic for opinions, and got an overwhelmingly large amount of responses. Yes, they were divided, but I was so happy to have so many friends helping me decide. In the end, I decided on wearing them both. :)
Announcing the next performer
With my little pianist

Here are some pictures of the kids:
Tristan

Jasmine

How they killed time during the 3-hour performance


I also wore my favorite Miss Sixty long wool coat with another winning from Annie - A wool Loft scarf. I LOVE this scarf.  The print and color are really pretty. And it's very warm and light weight. I didn't take a picture of it tucked into the coat, it looked nice too. Thank you, Annie!!!


Last if you are bored with outfits, and would like to listen to some piano pieces by a 10 year old and a 8 year old who both studied piano for only a little over 2 years. Here are they are:

Jasmine's piano recital

Tristan's piano recital

19 comments:

  1. You look very chic and put together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look wonderful, what a perfect outfit for a special event. Love dresses with cardigans (it's becoming my uniform lately) and you rock it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look lovely Vicky. Your kids are so talented. I wanted my girl to start learning piano too but she wasn't interested. She is more into sports which is perfectly fine. Great choice for the outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so sweet, Kileen. I have never seen anyone else so responsive and quick on twitter and blogger. So cut it out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really? My son looks like me? That'll make him happy. I'll have to show your comment to him. Growing up he was a teeny version of my husband, and he wanted soooo much to look like Mommy. lol. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Annie for the kind words!!! A a lot of exclamation marks!!! :) Yes I have a blessed life. Now I feel more blessed with you all as friends. Seriously!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isn't the scarf just frickin' phenomenal??? I like that description! lol! Just great picking, Annie. Your giveaway was so hot! I really like that blue against my skin tone as well. Never would've guessed. Thanks again!. Oh, great news! I fit into the lace skirt yesterday. I lost a whopping one pound! Another pound, I'd be swimming in it. haha!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So nice of you to say that, Tara. The piano teacher sure loved me. lol. :) I am also glad that I chose to wear both necklace. It felt just right.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aren't I lucky? Not many people know the Bei Feng Chui song, but since that was one of the few music I grew up with, I have a special feeling and connection to it. I think the rendition of the music is also very good. I'm glad Jasmine learned how to play this song. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Christine is about my height now. Whow! With a size 7.5 feet. She is getting prettier and prettier. I love that girl!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you, Alessandra. I do find that combination very flattering, especially with a belt. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. My daughter wasn't interested in piano until she was 8 and a half. I started hinting since she was 6. lol.:) But I am not the kind of parent who brutally force kids to do what they think is right for them. You are on twitter, you saw that article by this Yale professor claiming to be raising two successful children by abusing them? That sickens me! Anyways, when Jasmine was 8.5 suddenly she told me she wanted to learn piano. (that was a summer, and we were visiting my parents in Beijing) I was so excited that she finally "turned around", and started her on lesson that summer. Good news is, she loves piano still. I think kids need to be enabled to do what their interests are, with sufficient guidance. Your girl likes sports, she should do sports. Jasmine does soccer too, not because she's good at it, but because she likes it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I always enjoy reading your posts about your family, Vicky. Your kids are adorable and talented. I must listen to their piano playing when I go home (blocked at work, boo). Isn't it funny how when we don't want to get picked for something, we get picked? And when we do, we never get chosen? The outfit you chose worked perfectly for this occasion. Love the blue pairing of the cardi with the necklace. I'm glad you went with both strands!

    PS - Did your husband take the pics? There's stars sticking out of Tristan and Jasmine's heads ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, yah. I didn't notice until you mentioned! lol. It was his doing, again...
    Thank you, Cee. I'm glad you enjoy these posts. I sometimes feel that I'm dumping useless information on my reader, but then hey, it's MY blog, right? lol.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You look amazing, Vicky! Interesting that the kids are killing time with their DS. When I was little, I had to sit and wait for all the kids to finish!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...