Monday, July 19, 2010

In pursuit of petite friendly stores - dressing room review

I had a free day on Sunday without any parties to go to, any play dates to arrange, and any house chores to finish. I reserved the day for a mission. A mission to explore for more petite friendly stores. I own a lot of Loft clothes, they simply fit so much better than other stores claiming they have petite clothing, but carried sizes that were ridiculously humongous. (An example is Banana Republic's attempted 00P pants. See Alternation Needed post here.) Seeing beautiful dresses and skirts posted by Carol and Kathryn in In Pursuit of Pretty Things, Anthropologie was first on my list. Also when I saw the Work Outfit post by Coastalpolitan, that pretty floral top really caught my eyes. I decided to put Club Monaco on the list as well. Here are some dressing room photos.

First stop, Anthro. My daughter Jasmine was with me the whole time. She was helping out with taking some of the pictures and giving honest 10 year old opinions. So sweet. I was impressed by how patient she was. One side note, we did go see the movie Despicable Me and had lunch and ice cream at Friendly's before we hit this store, so she was full and happy. This is a dressing room review, not a movie review, but I just want to tell you how much I enjoyed the movie. I think it's one of the best cartoon that came out since Finding Nemo. Also the oldest orphan girl depicted in the movie look a lot like Jasmine. Seriously. :) Ok, on to the review.

This skirt is my all time favorite in the store. I was wearing a size 0, the smallest size they carry. The waist is a perfect fit. Surprise, yes. I like the color of the flowers and the detailing. The skirt is fully lined, and look at the  beautiful lace of the inner layer. The dress was retailed at $120 and was not on sale. As much as I love it, I put it back on the rack.


 This dress is also very pretty. Also size 0, fits perfectly on the waist. As you can see from the second picture, the skirt used a lot of fabric. I could open it up like a fan. The print is very pretty, but the extremely overload of the fabric made my little petite frame look a bit overpowered. And I think it's a bit long for me, since it was made for taller people. The dress was retailed at $98 I think, and was on sale for $49. I hesitated and put it back.
This one looked good when I picked it out, but was so blah on me, I put it back without any hesitation.


 This one is a tough one, and I need your honest opinions. The pattern I think is so so, the material is 100% silk, it feels very nice and well made. The cut is fancy, you cannot see much from these photo, but it has an uneven hem. However, it looks so plain on me in the dressing room. I couldn't put it back because it did look very nice in my hand, and it was on sale for $30 (retail $128). My bargain hunting instinct told me not to put it back and after long thoughts I bought it thinking I could always return it if I don't like it.
My overall experience with Anthro was positive. I was very glad to find that their size 0 actually fit me. Side note, their online store carries petite clothes.

Now on to store #2, Club Monaco. I have to admit, I love, love the look of everything in the store. But how does it look on me? After trying about a dozen different style clothes, my conclusion was that their size 00 fit me on the waist. Their size 00 fitted dresses were made for taller people and not fit for petites.
This is one of the many shorts I tried out size 00. Fits great. I wasn't sure about the two pockets in the front, it looked like I had my shorts on backwards. I instead bought another one I tried on as well, I will do a different post on that one. 

I also tried on some tiered skirts. They all fit nicely, but a little pricey even after the sale. I could easily get something similar from Express at half of its sale price. So it's petite friendly but not wallet friendly. Can't have everything, can I?
This 100% silk dress looked awful on me. I don't know why, but it just did. So no.

A tulip mini skirt that's ok looking, but not worth its price.

I stopped taking pictures at this point because I was so disappointed and tired. Rest of them are all rejects.
I do want to mention that I finally found the perfect white blazer for my husband in Club Monaco. Lucky him.

11 comments:

  1. Thank you for doing the fitting room review. I have been wanting to try out Anthro items for many months now, wishfully thinking that perhaps their smallest size might fit me. May I ask for your measurement for reference? My hubby refuses to go inside Anthro with me each time we pass by one cuz he said that their stores waste too much floor space! heh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL. That's a new one that I have never heard of. Anthro has beds in there. So tell him next time he can go in and rest his tired feet.
    As for my waist size, I think it's 24. I never knew for sure. I fit LOFT 00P if that can be a reference point. Good luck in getting into Anthro next time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first Anthro dress is so pretty. But I agree it's a little pricy. As well as the clob Monaco shorts, even with sale price. But I like the look of their shorts, very feminine, and stylish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That first skirt is so pretty! But ouch on the wallet... may be it'll go on sale or you can find a coupon? I've never tried anything from Anthro either, but now I'm really curious! The bargain dress I'm also not sure about... it's alright but a little on the meh side... depends on how you feel in it I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm totally watching the skirt now. If you find any coupons do let me know. I'm sitting on the bargain skirt now. I think it's going to go back eventually. Their return policy is as long as you have the tag and receipt, there is no time limit, which I think is pretty nice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Price and style, sometimes you have to pay a little more for the style you are looking for, right? If only we can have it all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anthro in general is just too pricey for me! Plus their stuff is slightly reminiscent of U.O. which is a lot cheaper. I think it is very funny how your daughter goes into the fitting room with you and sits so patiently through all these outfits, and even offers input!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not familiar with Urban Outfitter. I have only seen some reviews posted by you, that's it. I will certainly check it out in the future. Yes, my daughter is a darling. She has her daddy's mellow personality. Very sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My fiancee is a 00 and am trying to build a site that has 00 clothing stores on it but they all have so much criteria to get them on it,I only have a little 0 and XS on it so far,so be patiant.
    www.theshopholic.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea. Wish you the biggest success!

    ReplyDelete
  11. your all reviews is very nice. be continue for self.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...